Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Guitar Gods - Paul Rose



Paul Rose takes blues-rock playing to new levels. He plays with jaw-dropping vibrato, tapping and that violin volume-swell technique you can do on strat.  But the thing that sets him apart is his FEEL. Check out the link to Summertime below to see what I mean.

He plays LsL Strats through a Hughes & Kettner amp and cabinet with NO effects, and creates a vast array of tones by using the volume, tone and pickup selector on the guitar.

Rory Gallagher described Paul as "a hot player with a hot future", and Seymour Duncan (yes THAT one) rates Paul in his top 5 players (between Jeff Beck #1 and Roy Buchanan #3).

I saw him a couple of days ago in a tiny venue with his 3-piece band (Kenny Huchison - bass, Ted McKenna - drums). It was spectacular. I was grinning all night. And I still am.

My favourite tracks


Summertime (click for youtube)

Get Carter (from the album Note To Self)

All Along The Watchtower. (The first time I heard this I was listening on headphones walking to pick the kids up from school. The second solo made me find a bench to sit down to listen again and again).

Home (from the album Note To Self)

More



www.youtube.com/user/stratfanatic

No comments:

Post a Comment